Subject: Re: Questions and comments
From: [email-masked] (Marc Andreessen)
To: Thomas A. Fine <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 92 18:54:03 -0800

Thomas A. Fine writes:
> Yes, MIME would be good.  But would you make WWW pass around MIME
> documents only, with HTML being one of the Content-Types, or would
> you have http handle several different doc types, including both
> MIME and HTML?

What I'd like to see, based on what I know now, is 'text/html' become
a MIME content type and the WWW code retrofitted to handle MIME
documents as a base type.  Then essentially a raw HTML document would
become the degenerate case for WWW (implicitly text/html).

It is important that other datatypes can be inlined in a document,
which is what MIME allows (as opposed to just allowing ordinary links
to GIF files, or something similar).

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen
Software Development Group
National Center for Supercomputing Applications
[email-masked]